Labels

Friday, September 2, 2016

Running Today In Order to Run More Tomorrow

Happy Friday!  And happy September, too!  I am overjoyed because I have today and tomorrow off of work.  I can't remember the last time I wasn't scheduled on a Friday and Saturday in a row without requesting it.  I had a luxurious full night of sleep and am now sitting on my bed still in my pajamas enjoying a cup of coffee.


It's been a busy few weeks since returning from the beach.  I've been working a lot more, which is good because I was definitely affected by the cutting of hours that was big news over the summer: you might have seen a headline or two about disgruntled Starbucks baristas.  My boss is currently out on extended maternity leave so we're getting settled with an interim store manager.  He's very pleasant, and very transparent about numbers and higher-up stuff, which is nice.  He asked if I would be interested in being promoted to a shift manager yesterday.  I told him I would have to think about it.  I'm flattered by the offer, and it involves a pretty nice raise, but I'm not sure I want to put in the extra effort, now that school has started again.  He said he would make sure I wouldn't be scheduled more than my 25-hour average, that it would just really help him out with opening a few days a week.  I do think I would be good at it, but I also don't know if I want to move on from my current duties that I enjoy, like setting up the pastry case and being the main barista.  I have a few days to think about it, so we'll see.  In other Starbucks news, the Pumpkin Spice Latte is back, and we will be crazy every day from now until after the holidays.


The other big bit of news is that I'm looking at apartments to move out of my parent's house!  While I've enjoyed living at home, and am really grateful that they even let me live here rent-free for the last two years, I'm really ready to have my own space again.  It's crowded, now that Taylor's back home, and I feel like it's a lot of family time.  I feel a little stunted.  This may sound really weird, but I feel like I have to leave the house and go do something in order to be productive during the day.  And that means I spend more money on coffee and little shopping trips than I otherwise wouldn't, and I'm not spending as much time making artwork or writing than I would if I was in my own apartment.


My Mom is helping me sift through the lower-budget options convenient to work, home, and school, and we've looked at several, but the two that I've really liked have both had setbacks.  We had some communication problems at the first one, in that we thought an apartment that we went and saw was available but it actually wasn't, and the only one that was available was a different floorpan and on the first floor (since I'll be living alone it'll really be safer if I'm not on the first floor).  The second one looked great in person but I got online to read some reviews of the complex and they were terrible.  Now it made sense why they had so many upcoming availabilities!  We're going to look at a couple more tomorrow so we'll see!

School started a couple weeks ago.  I scheduled it so I would have one class at the community college on Monday nights, and my three education classes out in St. Charles on Thursdays.  So on Thursday I drive out to campus and find the classroom, and 1:50 rolls around and I'm still the only person in the room.  I think, well, this is weird.  I checked my email to make sure it wasn't cancelled or moved or anything, and then I checked my official schedule, and it turns out the class is on Tuesdays!  Of all the hundreds of credit hours I've taken, I've never made this mistake!  Oh well, the professor had a sense of humor about it.


Oh yea, I died my hair purple, and I really like it!  I think I'll keep it this color for a while.  It's washing out to a more deep pinkish-red color, which is also nice.


And all of this excitement led to me getting a pretty bad cold.  I've slept a lot of the last week and probably had a fever for a while of it.  Hopefully this will be my one cold for the season!  Have a lovely long weekend, everyone!

(photos by e.hunt, and collected from starbucks)

No comments:

Post a Comment