Labels

Thursday, July 14, 2016

"In My Experience, There's No Such Thing as Luck"

-Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, A New Hope

After opening at work yesterday, followed by a much-needed nap, I was out and about running errands when the storm of the summer rolled in.  It had been kindof cloudy and windy and afternoon, but didn't look like it was about to unleash the fury of Zeus.  That changed within a five minute period.


Wind, rain, lightning, leaves blowing, trees falling; this storm had it all!  I stayed where I was until it died down a little bit, then made a run for my car to head home.  I wish I had driven around a little more: trees were down, some blocking streets, people were walking around pointing at the aftermath, and the air had that eerie, after-storm quiet feel.  

When I pulled in the driveway I noticed we had a few branches down, but nothing major.  Our neighbors had it much worse.  Several had big limbs down in their yards.  Across the street, a limb had crushed part of their new, white picket fence.  Across the other street, a tree had snapped about ten feet up and fortunately missed both a garage and a house!


But it was a tree a couple houses down that took the cake.  This tree had been uprooted, pulling some of the ground up with it, and was leaning on the house.  You can see where it dented the roof there.  They were lucky it didn't just fall right through!


(photos by e.hunt)

1 comment: