Labels

Friday, April 28, 2017

You Might Call it Far, Perhaps, But What Does that Matter?

Hello, everyone!  It was brought to my attention that I haven't done a blog post in a while, so here goes.  As always, things are busy around here.  By the end of next week I'll have three thirty-five+ hour weeks at work, I'll be done with finals, and I'll have a new couch!  Yep, I ordered the traditional grey one from Amazon and it should arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Expect a putting-it-together post.

During my nightly free time I've been indulging in one of my favorite things to do; watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  It is fascinating, every time I watch, which is usually about three times a year.  I never get bored with it.  How could I, when I have the extended versions complete with commentaries and hours of making-of vignettes?!  It is inspiring.


Anyway, this time I decided to watch them backwards, starting with Return of the King, currently watching The Two Towers, and next will be The Fellowship of the Ring.  I chose to go with the Actor Commentary this round, which is interesting.  They share details about character choices, different ways they filmed different scenes, what was a set and what was on location, and other good little tidbits.  And after each one, I watch the Making Of, with some of my favorite behind the scenes people.  Richard Taylor, who is the head of Weta Workshop, the production house that did everything, has a very distinct New Zealand voice, and is very knowledgeable on different details.  Alan Lee and John Howe, who did all of the conceptual design work, are interesting to watch.  They were famous before the movies, as they had done most of the well-known illustrations for the book up to that point, and it's very cool to see these typical, weird art guys work.  And then the stunt guys always have funny stories, and there's some great shots of Art Director Dan Hennah and the set-builders.  Oh, and the miniatures!  As you can see, I am quite fascinated with all of it.


I did choose a bad week to start the viewing party though, as this is Book Week, the last event of Cleanse Month.  Andrew, Taylor, and I decided to all read A Brave New World, and finish it before the end of the week.  Taylor figured out that it would take about twenty-five pages a night to get through it all.  Let's just say I have a lot of reading to do this weekend...

I hope you all have stayed dry over the past rainy week.  I don't like rain, but it's ok now because it helps keep the temperature in my apartment down.  I'm a little nervous about this summer: I only have one AC fan unit and it is in the living room.  Dad has a few ideas, like using a small floor fan to blow the cool air towards my bedroom, but maybe once I turn it on and get it going for a few days it'll cool the whole place.  It is a pretty small area, so we'll see.  Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

(photos collected from tumblr, cracked, forum.drawmixpaint, bradleybasement.wordpress, rebloggy, waymarking, tumblr, wanteddeadoraliveproductionblog, and reddit)

No comments:

Post a Comment