Labels

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Fake Tales of the 1920's

I watched the new The Great Gatsby last night, and I am sad to say that I was a little disappointed.  Now, I did have pretty high standards going into it, Baz Luhrman being one of my favorite directors and all.  It just wasn't quite Baz Luhman-ish enough.  The man is known for creating these over-the-top, visceral explosions of color and imagination (see Moulin Rouge, Romeo+Juliet, Strictly Ballroom), and Gatsby wasn't at that level.  Yes, its a beautiful world filled with beautiful people wearing absolutely beautiful 20s clothing, and the art deco branding is incredible, but there's nothing that makes me feel for or understand the characters, which is what makes his movies enjoyable and more than just an artistic endeavor.  The best scenes are the parties, and there aren't nearly enough of them.  Oh well, hopefully Baz'll make up for it in the next one.


(photo by e.hunt)

No comments:

Post a Comment