Labels

Sunday, February 9, 2014

What There Was On the Other Side of Things

I needed a break in the Lord of the Rings reading train, and normally I wouldn't allow switching books while right in the middle of one, but I just couldn't get through book number three.  So, the other night I started reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.  I read it in high school for an out-of-class book report assignment, meaning that I didn't have to analyze it to death and ruin the book forevermore (i.e. Lord of the Flies, Heart of Darkness, Wuthering Heights, etc.).  I read it on my own terms, at my own speed, wrote the paper on a topic of my choosing, and that was it.  There was only one book in my entire reading-for-class career that I actually enjoyed: Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison.  It's a strange read, and very different from every other classic in the high school canon, which is probably why I liked it.  Anyway, back to One Hundred Years.  I'm only thirty pages in and have already found several great lines and passages, like this one:  "The whole structure seemed to occupy its own space, one of solitude and oblivion, protected from the vices of time and the habits of the birds."


(photo by e.hunt)

No comments:

Post a Comment