Labels

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Restez Vigilantes Votre Vie Durant

Last night my work buddy Alissa came over to talk about one of my favorite things: travel!  In a few weeks she and her Grandma are going to London and Paris, and she wanted my opinions and advice on making the most of the trip.  She's never been overseas so she's a little nervous about flying and making sure they've packed everything they need.  This isn't the first time I've given travel tips to someone going to Paris, but it's always fun and exciting to share my experiences and knowledge.  To get in the Parisian mood, I opened my old photo album and pulled some of my favorites.

Way back in 2011, I studied abroad for a month at La Sorbonne in Paris.  I loved the big city life and the quiet, determined lifestyle of the French people.



Not to mention the city itself is a Mecca of art and architecture.  Everywhere you look is something ancient and beautiful.


I became fascinated with the Metro subway system.  Like any true American, I love the freedom and mobility of driving a car, but Paris' mass transit Metro was like a puzzle and I loved being able to get anywhere in the city without having to rely on cars.


I told Alissa about my favorite area.  If you get off the Metro at the Louvre-Rivoli stop, you can walk through the Tuileries gardens, make a stop in the Musée de l'Orangerie to see Monet's Waterlilies, make a right and eat at the fabulous father-son Lescure Restaurant, turn back around and check out the ornate fountains and lampposts at the Place de la Concorde, then continue on down the river walk that runs parallel to the Champs Elysées, and finish up the tour at the Arc de Triomphe.


I mentioned that when they go see Notre Dame they should get off at Odéon or Saint Michel so they can walk through the oldest section of Paris, the Quartier Latin, and see the impressive Saint Michel fountain.


And of course they are planning to spend a day at Versailles, the massive castle filled with opulent furniture and gold-encrusted everything.  There truly is nothing else like it; however, the real reason to go is to see the gardens and the fountains that are in them.



After my month of studying, I met up with Mom and Debby to see some Southern European destinations, not knowing that I would be returning to Paris four years later.  I loved being able to take Taylor to my favorite spots and explore new places together.  I think I just love traveling altogether and am always happy to share it with others.

(photos by e.hunt)

No comments:

Post a Comment