Labels

Monday, March 9, 2015

You're No Spring Chicken Anymore!

(title said by Aunt Bee in a particularly rousing episode of The Andy Griffith Show, Aunt Bee's Medicine Man)

So, now that we're all in the idyllic Mayberry mindset, let's talk about good health habits.  I've recently picked up running again: an activity that really is a statement to my overall health, not just physically, but mentally as well.  I run when I am happy, satisfied in my current life situation, and when its warm enough out that I won't freeze to death.  I have no interest in running marathons, I just run for me; to get outside, to feel the elements, and to push myself to new physical levels.  I also feel great afterwards.

My revived need to run, added in with six months of dairy-free eating, and the fact that I never go out drinking anymore (which has also been good on the bank account front), has proved extremely beneficial to my health.  I only got sick once this winter, and the no-dairy led to some unexpected weight-loss.  With running, I hope to get back some of my strength that my body had back in college when I was running 25-30 miles a week.  In Nashville, I lacked the motivation to run at all.  I was so depressed after work everyday that I would just come home, make some dinner, and lounge around for the few hours until bedtime.  Now that I am excited about life again, and have a healthy base to build on, I can't wait to put on my running gear, warm-up stretch, and head out for an hour or so.

The only problem is, my computer is so old that it won't allow my new phone to connect to it to download new music.  And I have some great new running music to add to it!


(photo by e.hunt)

No comments:

Post a Comment