Labels

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Random French Conversation 2

A couple weeks ago I was sitting in the big courtyard area in front of Notre Dame, sketching bits and pieces of the facade.  This happened to be the one I was right in the middle of working on when a guy dressed in a suit rode up on his bicycle, sat next to me, and asked in french if I was an artist.


Yea, 'cus this is the kind of stuff an artist does in their free time.  I told him that I was a student of art and design and he asked me to point out the section I was drawing.  Quite understandable, Notre Dame is huge and has quite a bit of sprawling stone detail-work.  He went on to tell me probably everything he knew about art and architecture, which was kind of hard to follow because I'm not all that familiar with french architectural vocabulary terms, but I think I got the jist of most of it.  Then he told me I was really pretty, and that he wanted to take me to some bars that were in interesting buildings...  I said that bars are for drinking, not art, and that I needed to focus on art for the rest of the evening.  Ha.  He said it was a pleasure meeting me (still being polite after being totally denied--so french) and to keep making pretty drawings before getting back on his bike and riding away.

(photo by e.hunt)

No comments:

Post a Comment