Labels

Friday, January 5, 2018

No, Mr. Bond, I Own the Club

Around mid-December, I went to my first Drury Alumni event, held at one of St. Louis' country clubs and complete with complimentary drinks, food, and valet parking.  A couple of my friends were going, and I was curious what one of these things would be like.  So I put on a festive outfit, completed the look with a longer wool coat, and was on my way to the club.


It was an interesting evening.  The crowd was mainly made up of elderly people and then about fifteen or twenty people in the recent-grad age group.  My old greek life advisor and her husband were the only middle-age representatives there.  Part of the reason for the event was to unveil a grand campus makeover, complete with several new buildings, making the center lifeline of campus, Drury Lane, a walking-only area, and updating many of the current academic buildings.


My friend Mindy and I were looking over some of the drawings for said revamp when a man who graduated in the sixties started talking to us about what Drury was like when he was there.  It was pretty interesting hearing about how different it was and then the conversation took an unusual turn.  He asked, "Now, did you all pledge?"  "Yes, we were both in Zeta," I answered.  It was only after his confused "Oh, that's nice," and quick exit that I realized that he meant pledge in the donate-money way, not the join-greek-life way.  Oh well, Mindy and I had a good laugh over it.  And there ends the story of my first Drury Alumni Event.


(photos by e.hunt, and collected from drury.edu)

No comments:

Post a Comment