Labels

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

A Floral Oracle

 Good evening and happy first day of March! I don't know about where all of you are located, but around here it's already looking quite spring-like.

I spotted a couple of these delicate pink-bloomed trees on my walk with Ollie this morning.  I looked them up and I think they're called Eastern Redbuds, or Cercis Canadensis.  They have a 'Least Concern' Conservation Status, the flowers can be eaten fresh, fried, or boiled, and they are the state tree of Oklahoma.



And when we got home I noticed that the white and yellow daffodils are also awake!  Also known as Narcissus, they come in many colors but are characterized by their unique trumpet shape.  Don't try to eat these though, as all parts of the plant are poisonous.  


And thus ends my first foray into flowering factoids.  Now go forth and spread these precious petals of wisdom, and may this month of March bring us more flowers and flowering trees to discover!

(photos by e.hunt)


2 comments: