Labels

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Mercredi

The next day we walked around the corner to a little coffeeshop, Mon Café.  It was bright and sunny and the guy behind the counter was friendly.  It was here that we experienced our first Montreal bagels!  Apparently it's a thing that they're known for, and I have to say, it was quite good.





After a quick jaunt through the Place Vauquelin (named for a famed French naval officer known for his bravery in The Seven Years' War) right next to City Hall, we made our way around the block to the nearest metro stop.  

I was very much looking forward to riding the métro, having loved the metro culture in Paris.  It was very similar, and I had great fun figuring out how to get to where I needed to be.



Which was Stop Pie-IX on Ligne Verte going towards Honoré-Beaugrand, aka The 1976 Olympic Stadium!



I walked out the door and turned around to see the tower.  The curves, cables, and simplistic shapes were beautiful and awe-inspiring.  I wanted to ride up to the top of the tower and look out on the city and the rest of the Olympic Park below but to do that I had to walk (from #5) all the way around to the opposite corner of the map (#2).



It was a nice day though, a bit overcast and not quite as cold, so I didn't mind the walk.  Dotting the sidewalk every one hundred feet or so were these information boards providing a timeline of the tower construction.  Good exercise and informational!



The Biodome was under construction but the curves and shapes lent themselves really well to the overall design.  I loved seeing the skylight ceiling through the windows.



And then I came upon the newest addition to the grounds: Place Nadia Comaneci, unveiled in 2017 honoring the youngest all-around gymnastic champion, who scored the first perfect ten in Olympic history at age 14.  The age restriction has since been raised to 16.


I had finally made it around to the other side and after many pictures of the monumental tower and surrounding curved buildings, I made my way inside.



(photos by e.hunt, r.hunt, and collected from stm.info.fr)

No comments:

Post a Comment