Labels

Monday, June 18, 2018

A Botanical Birthday

For my birthday this year, back in mid-May, I decided to take the weekend off of work.  It turned into a lovely few days of sleeping in, running a few errands, drinks with friends, a delicious dinner at Dewey's, Mother's Day grilling at home, and a trip to the Botanical Garden on my actual birthday.


We used to visit the garden on occasion when we were kids, mainly with Nana and Grandpa, but I haven't been since then and thought it would be a fun way to spend the day outdoors.  I stopped to get a coffee and was on my way.  Once through the gates and welcome center, this little fountain courtyard is your first sight.  I then decided to make a left and check out this brick greenhouse building.



The Linnean House, built in 1882, is the oldest operated public greenhouse west of the Mississippi.  It is named after Swedish botanist Carl Linnaeus, the creator of the standard binomial ("two name") system of naming plants and animals.  It was bright and sunny and had a nice, tropical feel that was enhanced by the ninety degree weather.

Beyond the long, rectangular building, there was a peaceful little alcove where I spotted two bunnies and a squirrel among the well-manicured plants.


Continuing on, I found another interesting water feature, this one on the wall instead of the ground.


Sticking to the pathway, I came to the main attraction of the Gardens, the Central Axis.  The dome is framed by cypress trees and accentuated by pools with sculptures of dancers, a sea nymph, angel musicians, and Chihuly's floating Onions.  The flying musicians were my favorite.



After exploring the surrounding area's flowers and trees, and experimenting with different viewpoints, I made my way back to the path.


The next stop was this round, mausoleum-like structure housing a Carlo Nicoli statue, Victory.  I liked the inscription; "The victory of science over ignorance.  Ignorance is the curse of God.  Knowledge is the wing wherewith we fly to heaven."  The fact that the figure is inside, sheltered, alone, and cut off from the outside, lends an interesting perspective to the quote.



Further into the gardens is the majestic Tower Grove House, built between 1849 and 1851.  Its symmetrical design that draws attention to the angels and lines makes it stand out against its organic and natural setting.



I explored the backside of the house as well, where I found this ornate trellis and small, fenced-in, brick-path garden.  It looked like an old herb garden, with its separated plant beds and no shade-providing trees.




Behind the house was a stop we made frequently on our trips here as kids (one that Taylor specifically remembered and asked me to find), the old Lighthouse!  I didn't go inside because it was getting kind of late and I was only halfway through the garden, but it was fun to see.


The next statue I came across was this mighty depiction of Persephone by Italian sculptor Raffaello Romanelli, 1902.  Persephone, daughter of Zeus and Goddess of Agriculture Demeter, was kidnapped by Hades and taken to the Underworld.  Zeus made a deal with Hades allowing Persephone to be with her mother for part of the year (time for planting, growth, and harvest) and then returning to the Underworld for the other part (when all nature suffers).


I was starting to get really hot in the sun so I took a short break under a large gazebo next to the Rose Garden.




At this point it was late afternoon and I wanted to stop by my apartment before heading home for birthday dinner, so I made a quick run through the Chinese Garden, stopped by the famous Chihuly sunburst fences, and ended up back at the beginning.




I'm so glad I decided to check out this local attraction.  It wasn't too crowded, and was a nice way to get some exercise while experiencing nature and art.  It's not that expensive either, so I look forward to stopping in every now and then for an afternoon stroll.


(photos by e.hunt)

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment